I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Monday, July 26, 2010

Keep of Kalessin - Kolossus [2008]

Starts off pretty weak compared to Armada, but it's different for KoK, so I'll roll with it. T3 is what they probably should've started the album with. The creativity is ramped up in this album and some parts even cross over into the Atmospheric genre of music. The production quality is strange. It's still heavy, but there's a weird type of re-verb to the guitars that's only really audible when everything else drops out. Not a bad thing, though. It gives the guitars a bit of an alien quality to them that makes listening to them interesting. There are more keys / piano in this album than Armada. One of my complaints is that the lyrics are a bit static and boring. Often verses are repeated more than once. Another complaint is that this album is definitely less brutal than Armada. However, it's almost a completely different style, which is great to see and the songwriting is still top-notch.

Rating: 8

http://www.keepofkalessin.no/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!