I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cephalic Carnage - Xenosapien [2007]

The brutality is still there in spades. In fact, this is a much more brutal album than Anomalies. Even farther than that, this album is better in every way. The songs are catchy, brutal, heavy, and creative. However, while they are using pretty creative riffs throughout the songs, I am missing the other kind of creativity that came in the form of the more "stoner-music" and druggy-atmospheric feel that was crammed to great effect in the earlier albums. There's hardly any of that anymore in the music. The production is the heaviest and best yet. Because of the lack of the extreme creativity that was in the older albums, I'm inclined to give it lower marks, but thanks to the increase in song quality I think it's better than Anomalies.

Rating: 8

http://www.myspace.com/cephaliccarnage

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!