I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Devin Townsend Project - Ki [2009]

Extremely easy-going start to the album. It's quite soothing and gentle. I love the way "Coast" slowly eases into a bit of chaos without actually committing to it... it's quite suspenseful. "Disruptr" demonstrates perfect and very well-through-out placement of effects with a gritty guitar jabbing through. The accents really come through as well. This one also eases into metal, but ends up somewhat committing to it... the vocals do at least, the guitar distortion doesn't really change, making it a very unique sound. "Gato" really catches the ear and wonderfully massages it... with warm butter. "Heaven Send" has quite a nutty solo to it. This is such a soothing album that I don't even mind that it's pretty long. It does have some creative elements to it like the slow crescendo of chaos that occurs occasionally. The chaos has double-duty, though, in the form of also being the sole variation found in the album. I wish there was a bit more variation. At the same time, the songs are very carefully crafted and the soothing nature of the music is so relaxing and effective.

Rating: 8.5

http://www.hevydevy.com/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!