I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Sunday, August 21, 2011

Testament - The Gathering [1999]

The production quality is nearly perfect. Even 12 years later, this album is still one of the heaviest I've heard. Nearly every song is excellent. There aren't any filler riffs to be found on this album. Every second is a triumph of heaviness, yet, there is a good deal of variation on the album. Some songs have ominous clean guitars. Some are 6/8 romps through a metal fortress. Others are forays into the thrashing days of yore. All are energetic and hair-raising experiences overall. What an awesome album. When one concentrates, creativity can be found in some of the background effects and guitar slides that are barely noticed. The lyrics are very strong as well. Everything just feels so tight, like everyone was on the same page for the writing of this album.

Rating: 8.5

http://www.testamentlegions.com/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!