I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Friday, March 11, 2011

Amogh Symphony - Abolishing the Obsolete System [2009]

Not at all what I was expecting for the intro to what I assume will be a brutally technical Death Metal album. I'm fairly impressed with the song-writing, structure, and diversity in "Cyborg Activation" which shoots through Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Indian Folk, and Techno. Production is a bit rough... quality isn't bad at all, but the guitar distortion sounds like a bargain-priced solid-state (or shitty software) and I can VERY clearly hear hard-cuts for sections that they obviously had to punch-in on guitars. Even so, I am very pleased with the variation that this album has to offer. The playing is pretty good, too, despite the obvious production cuts and such. The slow folk sections are wonderfully calming. The more energetic Metal parts, while not all that unique or creative, still are well performed and have a good feel to them. Pretty good for a first album, but I'll definitely be expecting some more refined writing on the next one.

Rating: 7.5

http://www.myspace.com/mohenjadaro

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!