I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Kenji Kawai - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Original Soundtrack [2006]

I was actually expecting this to be crappy for some reason. However, if the first track is to be any indicator of the rest of the album, I may end up loving it. Album starts off with a sedate orchestra and vocal "ooos" with a calm electronic beat that is overall quite ominous yet soothing. "散策": ok, so here's the reminder that this is indeed an Anime soundtrack... gotta have the happy town music. I'm almost laughing over the monstrous extremes displayed on this album: adorable cuteness one minute, brooding evil the next. At times, things become atmospheric and soothing; this is where the album really shines for me because the atmosphere is incredible yet not boring or noisy. Rarely, there will appear a song that tickles my epic-nerve. I wish there were more of those songs on here. Overall, not bad, but not the art-house I was hoping for based on the opening track. The cute stuff is ridiculously adorable, putting a smile on my face, but it always feels a bit out of place on this album. The evil stuff, while not directly evil, is quite ominous and dark. OH FUCK!! I THINK I'VE FIGURED IT OUT: I'm pretty sure that all of the tracks with "!" in them are the cutsie ones... if this is true, I want to hug Kenji and thank him for making them easily identifiable.

Rating: 7.5

http://www.kenjikawai.com/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!