I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Sunday, July 25, 2010

Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest [2009]

Damn, massive upgrade in production energy. Drums are a little higher in the mix. Everything sounds crystal clear. Wow, some more creativity in the first track with the Indian vocals in the midst of grinding Death Metal. They've definitely pushed the Egyptian theme to a new level with this one. There is more samples, sound effects, and extra instruments thrown into the mix. The technicality has been ramped up to a new level as well with a lot more difficult sweeps. Almost every song is solid gold with only one song that feels like filler on the album. The only thing I can think of that keeps this from a perfect score is the very thing that makes me excited for albums like this: the slight change in guitar style. If it stands up to multiple listens, it'll earn its perfect mark. Even so, Nile has really out-done themselves on this fucking epic and perfectly produced album.

Rating: 9

http://www.nile-catacombs.net/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!