I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Sunday, December 19, 2010

Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone [2005]

Very weak start for Akercocke, but it eventually gets going. The first track seems to have much more pop-metal influences added in, but towards the end it complete redeems itself. The pop-metal influences are minimized and not necessarily a bad thing. Seems like they've changed their style a bit from Choronzon. It still feels like an Akercocke album, but it also feels fresh because of some more Death Metal styled riffs and structures. "Shelter from the Sand" is extremely unique for Akercocke and even ventures into the Post-Metal genre. Overall, better production and a fresh take on their own style while not compromising what makes them great leaves me with a fucking stiffy for this album (despite the fact that it started off very weak).

Rating: 9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akercocke

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!