I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Yoko Kanno - Escaflowne: Over the Sky [1996]

First impression is GREAT. I've gone from a wonderful fantasy song ("Flying Dragon") to the epic chorus-filled god-sized masterpiece of "Dance of Curse". Now, let's hope she keeps it up... it's a long way to the end of this album. God damn, she really did it; the album is fucking great all the way through. When there is a drop-off in excitement, melancholy and beauty take over. When the excitement comes back, it slams you in the face with grand writing. There are probably only two tracks that were iffy, but that's hardly a distraction. Also, the chorus in multiple songs sings the same phrase over and over again, making it feel a bit contrived by the end.

Rating: 8.5

http://www.kannoyoko.net/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!