I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways [1995]

Holy crap, the first track on the first CD is quite an experience. It starts off with a space-atmosphere feeling eventually giving way to a calm prog-rock section. The middle of the song is dominated by a really cool electronic beat with synth rhythm and flutes. What's truly awesome is that each style of the songs is extremely well-done and it all fits together very nicely thanks to the main melodies being carried over from one section to the next. "Dislocated Day" is a more up-tempo, straightforward, and catchy song with extremely well-written keyboards. "The Moon Touches Your Shoulder" is good, but it lacks the intensity of the first two tracks. I do love how it blends seamlessly into "Prepare Yourself", which helps to bring the intensity back. I have to say that CD1 as a whole is quite fucking awesome. Unfortunately, the extra CD is not all that great despite being aptly suited for atmospheric moods. If I had just listened to the first CD, this would've gotten a 9 for sure, but the second CD lacks the intensity in the mood that the first had.

Rating: 8.5

http://www.porcupinetree.com/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!