I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chimaira - Pass Out of Existence [2001]

Korn-like start to "Let Go", but then things move more into Heavy Metal. The use of effects is very impressive. A lot of effort went into the type, execution, and placement of effects. The production is quite dull, though... with the vocals having the sonic quality of someone putting a damp blanket over the mic. It's still quite heavy, though. There's definitely a recessed stench of the Nu Metal troll lingering around the songs, but it works because of the massive amount of electronic influence and the focus on thrashy and heavy riffs. There's even a whiff of Death Metal to it. Small surprises delight my ears, especially when done well like the middle section of the title track. However, the rap-ish vocals of "Split" and "Painting the White to Grey" make me cringe. This album could not be more different from "Impossibility..." The variation is wonderful. The creativity, while not stunning, is more than enough to set this apart from other Heavy Metal bands. That said, this album is a bit too long for its own good. It really feels like shit is dragging by the end and that they've run out of ideas.

Rating: 7.25

http://www.chimaira.com/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!