I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Monday, June 20, 2011

Dir en grey - Missa [1997]

The production quality lacks quite a bit of punch and is quite "dead", but it's pretty clear. "霧と繭" sounds stock from the perspective of the vocals, but the frantic thrash breaks with tradition just a bit. It is fairly repetitive, though. "「S」" has a few screams and feels a little more dark. You can tell that they want to move away from the stock J-Rock template that was set before them, but they don't seem to know quite how to do it. They use odd chord structures and the rhythms border on progressive at times. It doesn't do much to draw me in to the music and there's very little in the way of catchiness, but I do applaud the effort to not sound like everyone else.

Rating: 5.5

http://www.direngrey.co.jp/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!