I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Monday, June 20, 2011

Metalium - State of Triumph - Chapter Two [2000]

Just when I think that Henning's voice couldn't possibly get higher, "Steel Avenger" proves me wrong. It's certainly following on the structure of the first disk, energy and all. "Years of Darion" is a bit more groove with quite a catchy chorus. "Break Out" starts off slow and eventually builds up to a moderate tempo... much more catchy guitar riffing than YoD, but the sound clip part after the solo is out of place and very distracting. "Erania" kicks it off fucking strong, but with a strange and quirky verse and eventually ending with what will surely be, by far, the peak of the album. Right into "Stygian Flames" which thrashes the listener around like a british nanny. The chorus of "Prophecy" saves the song a bit from the grip of boredom. This album doesn't have the same proficient songwriting or magic of the first one, but it's still pretty good in its own right.

Rating: 7.5

http://www.metalium.de/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!