I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chimaira - Resurrection [2007]

"Resurrection" definitely has more ferocity and bite in that one song than they had on all of the previous album combined. Fairly catchy, but nothing to write home about. However, "Pleasure in Pain" IS something to write home about. VERY catchy with a wonderfully dark and twisted theme. So far, there's been plenty in the way of force, but virtually nothing in the way of creativity and experimentation, but "Six" tries to change all that. A much softer beginning with Persian influence before jumping into the thrash madness. The problem with it is that it's a bit too long and with too little to offer in the way of diversity. I never used to like the middle of this album, but now I realize that I wasn't ready for the non-thrash songwriting. It's much darker and heavier with more ponderous riffs and a propensity towards breaking away from their more typical sound. Something that bothers me about the album is Mark Hunter's lyrics; they're so stock, predictable, and uninteresting that it can almost ruin a song. Other than that, this is probably their best and most solid album so far. It really feels like Chimaira has been renewed in strength.

Rating: 7.5

http://www.chimaira.com/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!