I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Friday, July 22, 2011

Marilyn Manson - EAT ME, DRINK ME [2007]

"If I Was Your Vampire" is a bit of a departure from the Manson style, but damn is it dark and brooding. "Putting Holes in Happiness" has a worrying opening that feels more like rock than Goth, but it actually starts to work a bit when the vocals kick in. Extended guitar solo!?!?!?!?!?!? Wasn't expecting that. There's quite a lot of soloing on this album, which is a shock. It's a mix of shred, rock, and whammy, so it's interesting and still manages to stay within the darkened room that is this album. The album relies much more heavily on guitar, drums, and bass riffs rather than the electronic and industrial effects that used to be pervasive. It's odd to hear this come from Manson, but it seems to work for the most part. That said, the songwriting seems to be a bit lazier nowadays; the album has little to no variation, so things start getting repetitive pretty quickly. It may be a doomy and dark album, but I do miss the creepiness that was found in earlier Manson material.

Rating: 7.25

http://marilynmanson.com/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!