I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Friday, July 22, 2011

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis [2010]

Whoa, ok, not an impressive start to "Farewell, Mona Lisa", but fuck does it suddenly get insane eventually giving way to a calmer middle section. Quite catchy. More chaos and catchiness from "Good Neighbor". "Gold Teeth on a Bum" is more ponderous and whimsical with a whiff of groove. Then it's right back to the chaos. Can you tell this is a chaotic album? Luckily, that's not all there is to it. There's plenty of that pre-Ire Works energy and creativity. At the same time, it's pretty damn catchy. The distorted guitars sound too much like they're enclosed in a box, but, other than that, it's good production quality. The writing style does feel like progression has been slow for them. So, the album isn't really pushing the boundaries of their style. Songs like "Widower" and "Parasitic Twins" give me hope for things to come. Even so, this is a very solid TDEP album that sits proudly next to Miss Machine.

Rating: 8.75

http://www.ireworks.net/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!