I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence [2002]

"The Glass Prison" is a bit disappointing, falling flat for 90% of the song with the ending finally bringing the music up to a level worthy of Dream Theater. "Blind Faith" is much better right from the start with it's very relaxed atmosphere and beautiful keys. Much more catchy and well-written than the first track. "Misunderstood" follows on from "Blind Faith". It's not quite as good, but it's interesting enough to hold me through until it blends into "The Great Debate". One that note, "The Great Debate" isn't all that great at all, seems like it falls into the same trap that "The Glass Prison" did where most of the song sounds flat and doesn't have much feeling to it. "Disappear" is ok; not phenomenal, but good. Overall, the first disk is definitely not as refined as the second, but there are still some really good songs on it.


Okay, I've heard disc 2 all the way through a few times now. Overture is a great instrumental which does exactly what it's meant to do in classical terms. Really cool classical feel at times and blended perfectly with the prog rock aspect. Almost all of the songs on disc 2 blend seamlessly into each other. The disc is beautiful, emotional, and a musical masterpiece when played all the way through. This is probably one of the most focused discs DT has ever put out. The only issue I have with this album is the very straight-forward and uninventive lyrics.


Rating: Disk 1: 7

Rating: Disk 2: 9.5

http://www.dreamtheater.net/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!