I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thyrane - Travesty of Heavenly Essence [2005]

Starts off very unexpected for a black metal album. I've never ever heard natural harmonics used in BM. Damn-good production quality. Nice and heavy guitars. First song doesn't have much grinding, but it's got a bit of a thrashy feel to it. Awesome use of melody in the guitars. They create an extremely unique sound. Cool keys… very fitting for the music. Second track starts with more of the very well-crafted melody in guitars. Slows down a little. Album has a surprisingly modern feel, but it never detracts from the Black Metal created within. Really cool so far. Track three kicks in with fast thrash and then hit's the grind pretty hard… fucking cool. Really awesome guitar work in the middle of the T3… modern feel but then kicks into this crazy-cool arpeggio riff. Track 5 has this fucking beautiful section to it that almost brings tears to my eyes. 3 Songs from the end and I can say that within a few songs there seemed to be a lull or two in the action, but it's never for long and the songs don't miss a moment in picking back up and kicking into an awesome riff. The use of keys in this album is fucking phenomenal. I would've liked to see more use of keys in this manner, but now I'm nit-picking. At some points, the drumming is amazing as well. Overall this is damn creative guitar work, heavy, catchy, but still always Black Metal at heart.

Rating: 8

http://www.myspace.com/thyranefans

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!