I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite [1989]

Not really good production quality. I especially don't like the production quality and sound of the bass guitar. It's got a heavy and very active feel to the songs. Starts off with more of a Power Metal feel, but quickly drops into the Progressive Rock genre that DT has been known for. There's some quite catchy stuff here and the songwriting is pretty proficient especially when considering that this is their first release. There are plenty of times when this album has a distinct Heavy Metal feeling to it. There's plenty of technicality on all instruments throughout the album as well. This is certainly a very active and energetic album when compared to the more docile stuff from 2000 and on. It isn't as much of a master piece as, say, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, but each song is really good and the writing is very solid with a very charming attitude throughout the album. Production really is the only major gripe I have with this album.

Rating: 8

http://www.dreamtheater.net/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!