I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Friday, April 8, 2011

志方あきこ - Harmonia [2009]

Akiko, you were doing very well until "風と羅針盤". It was soothing and beautiful with the combination of Celtic and Japanese folk that I loved so much from Navigatoria, but with the newer vocal style. But then, "風と羅針盤" ventures waaaay too far into the pop area. Whoa, EXTREMELY uncharacteristic evil feeling in "調和〜焔の共鳴〜"... not sure if I like it. Songs like "久遠の海" really re-ground the album in it's beauty and soothing appeal. However, this is definitely a new direction in many ways... I'd even say that the album leans a bit more towards Pop than New Age and/or Folk. It's neat that she switches between the new vocal style and the more airy style that I prefer. I wonder if the more recent soundtracks she's done has affected her writing style. All the negatives aside, this is still a very good album with a fair amount of easy-going Classical Japanese and Celtic influence. Wow, "謳う丘〜Salavec rhaplanca.〜" is one hell of a journey. Overall, there are only a few songs that change the style significantly. It's a good album, but I still prefer Navigatoria.

Rating: 7.75

http://www.vagrancy.jp/

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!