I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Anaal Nathrakh - Passion [2011]

Here we go... I'm always eagerly anticipating a new AN. There is some fucking weird shit in "Volenti Non Fit Iniuria"... conflicting time bass drums, more synchronized stops than usual and some more interesting riffs. I'm into track 2 and so far I can say that the overall feel is much more like Black Metal than it has been for the last few albums. The song does feel a bit drawn out, though. And then, "Post Traumatic Stress Euphoria" throws EVERYTHING to the fucking wind... they smashed every thing they could into a 1:40 minute song.... and it's beautiful. By "Le Diabolique Est Lami Du Simple", I feel like I have completely warmed up to this album. I LOVE the fact that it's more Black Metal now (like the old days), but they've kept the bombastic heaviness of the later albums. On top of that, this is actually a very creative album... there's a lot of effects that, on paper, sound like they shouldn't work (wah pedal on the guitar, for instance) but they've made them fit perfectly. There's even a few glitch sections thrown in for good measure. Whoa, they got the guy from Bethlehem to do vox on "Tod Huetet Uebel" and it's fucking epic with this production quality. That small bit of melodic influence is still there, though, and the slower industrial parts aren't as strong and catchy as they were on the last album. Also, the creativity and experimentation with effects at the beginning doesn't really carry through the album. Those complaints aside, I love this disk.

Rating: 9.25

http://www.myspace.com/anaalnathrakh

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!