I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Thursday, May 26, 2011

White Zombie - Astro-Creep: 2000 [1995]

After a genuinely creepy and prolonged intro... and explosion of energy and heaviness. I'm not sure if I've ever heard a heavier song than "Electric head Pt. 1", and it's even more astonishing when one realizes that this was released in 1995!! Things continue strongly through "Super-Charger Heaven", but then the catchiness and darkness tapers off quite a lot in "Real Solution #9". "Creature of the Wheel" brings the heaviness back, but the catchiness is absent from the verse riffs. Though, it lends itself to an amazing mosh-pit song. "Electric Head Pt. 2" brings some of the catchiness back and adds a healthy dose of quirky riffing. "Grease Paint and Monkey Brain" doesn't really have much energy for me... there seems to be a steady decline in the songwriting from the first track. But then, "I, Zombie" comes in and with a force that would be sufficient to restart our fucking Sun. "More Human Than Human" has never really appealed to me, but the following track is much more my style. Overall, this is quite a mixed bag. EXTREMELY strong songs are littered throughout the album with quite a few fillers surrounding them. It's still by far the best album White Zombie ever released, but they couldn't keep the strong songwriting going. I still like the fact that no one else sounded quite like WZ.

Rating: 7.75

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Zombie_(band)

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!