I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Sunday, August 7, 2011

Slayer - Diabolus in Musica [1998]

YES! This is the fucking guitar distortion and production quality that Slayer always deserved! I don't think I'll ever get tired of "Bitter Peace". "Death's Head" is a leap into the groove territory, but it also shows that Slayer is musically expanding and experimenting with their sound. Just in time, too, because I was getting a little tired of being able to predict the entire Slayer album. It's truly dark even when it's a bit more catchy and heavy. Even the really slow sections that feel like someone is being dragged through the mud don't bother me because it's just so fucking black. That's not to say that the album is perfect... it's not. "Stain of Mind" is all weak if the lyrics are disregarded and "Love to Hate" is simply awful in every way. It's very impressive that they've managed to change their sound so much and still make it incredibly dark and keep that Slayer feel. It's a real kick in the nuts to all the other bands that were around at that time with "modern" sounds and purely shit writing. All of that praise aside, this is probably one of the least thrashy album that Slayer has done up to this point, but it certainly is the heaviest by far.

Rating: 8.5

http://www.slayer.net

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!