I have accumulated many personal reviews while listening to albums. My reviewing style is non-conventional and was only intended for myself. Sometimes I will only use one sentence to describe an album if I feel that is all that's required. Other times I will review an album while I'm still listening to it, leading to a song-by-song review of the album (bringing the size of the review to nearly dissertation-level). There are times when I will even come back to a review to add information that I didn't know when originally writing the review. The point is that I won't edit my reviews to make them more readable or conventional. My reviews are always a direct result of what I was feeling when I wrote them and I want to let that feeling come through.



Sunday, August 7, 2011

Slayer - God Hates Us All [2001]

It's even more heavy than DiM. Despite the influx of Heavy Metal influence, this still feels very much like a Slayer album. The blisteringly hateful "Disciple" and "God Send Death" set the album on the right path to crush some skulls. One major complaint is that Tom's vocals feel a bit monotone on this album for some reason. It's also less focused on evil and more focused on hatred. "Cast Down" and "Threshold" feel a bit like they're dragging the album through the mud. There are a fair number of really powerful songs on here, but I must admit that the material feels like it has lost some of its potency. Maybe it's the shifting focus to lyrics about hatred instead of evil. Maybe it's the Heavy Metal influence being improperly handled. Not sure, but it has lost a little something.

Rating: 7.75

http://www.slayer.net

All ratings are out of 10. Rating may not be a whole number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment, you fucks!